Stephane Robidas, one of the most underrated defenseman in the NHL, is starting his 11th in the NHL and his 7th with the Dallas Stars. He is a veteran d-man among Alex Goligoski, Trevor Daley, and new comers Sheldon Souray. He is ready to forget last season that saw the Dallas Stars not make the playoffs in the last game of the 2010-2011 season.
After practice, I recently caught up with Stephane Robidas and we talked about his summer, his thoughts on the new coaching staff including coach Glen Gulutzan, the new players, what kinda of role he’s going to bring to the season, and what sport he loves besides hockey.
1. What have you been doing this summer? Any training? Rehab?
- Yes, I had off season major hip season in the summer. I have been rehabbing my hip and it feels better. I am pain free when I skate.
2. How do you feel about the new season with the new players and coach coming in?
- The new players bring a difference mix than last year and feel that we have a better team. The coaching staff is very good. Coach Guluztan brings a different style to the team and he’s very good at what he does.
3. How do you feel you’ve changed as a player and person?
- I try to be the same and be himself. I see myself still being that leader who leads on the power play.
4. How do you see your role with the team for the new season? Do you see it staying the same? or changing?
- I see my role being the same, and leading the team like I did last season.
5. What other sports do you like besides hockey?
- I played baseball when I was younger before I went into hockey.
6. What are your thoughts on Dallas Stars new head coach Glen Gulutzan?
- His coaching style is the same as Dave Tippett’s. He is more defensive minded than offensive minded but he still wants to see players contribute and scoring goals. But it is nice to have Gully as the head coach in Dallas. He brings a different style than Crawford brings and it fits well into the system.
Appears that Stephane Robidas is ready for the new season and to ultimately make the playoffs. As always you can follow myself (Melissa) on Twitter: Twitter.com/DalStarsWriter or Austin at Twitter.com/BlackoutDallas.